Monday, August 3, 2009

Car Wreck

The title says it all. I was in a car accident today. The accident occurred @ about 8:15pm my time and I got to go home @ about 9pm. It is now 10pm and my hands are still shaking. I guess the first thing I should really mention is that no one was hurt....air bags didn't even deploy. What I know is that I was in my lane, the right hand lane, and the van that was in the left hand suddenly started moving into my lane I step on my breaks cause that is all I really can do cause at this point I'm panicking & who wouldn't in my position. I'm in a little Mazda protege and a mini van is coming at me.






Those are pictures of my driver's side mirror and basically the main damage.


As soon as I could I pulled over into an empty parking lot and called my mom. I had been on the phone with her like 5 mins earlier letting her know I was off work and headed home. She then sent my dad back out to me and stayed on the phone with me because she heard what the other lady had said when she pulled in next to me. The other lady said "Oh please don't call the cops" which right there usually means you need to call the cops. So once my dad got there he looked at my car then explained to the lady that he needs to call the cops & then did. They show up I give them my insurance info and driver's license. The other lady gets a ticket because the car she is driving doesn't appear to have car insurace...at least they can't find the info anywhere. She is driving her mother's car (cops said she is about 39 years-old herself so the mother must be some little old lady). I got my stuff back plus some paperwork to fill out and give to my insurance company which my dad is helping me with. We got to leave before she did.


Wha the other lady says happened (why she was moving over) was that a motorcycle was stopped in front of her and she was going to go around him. We were on one of the main streets through a resident area (speed limit is 35). I didn't really pay much attention to her story after hearing that because my mom was telling me what to do as soon as my dad got there, I was supposed to hand him my cell and let her talk to him because she didn't want the other ladys (there were 2 ladys and some kids in the van) to hear what she said because she didn't like what she could hear the ladys saying and the info she'd gathered from me and now that I understand more I didn't like it much either. The one who was driving kept saying "do you want me to just give you my info so we can settle this and go" With out an incident report/police report my insurance company would most likely make me pay for the repairs and though out my mirror was messed up it is an electronic (I think that the right word) mirror, which are really expensive. She just didn't want the police to get invloved because she knew her mother didn't have car insurance and she wasn't sure if she had her driver's license with her, though I think they did actually find her license.

Welll that is the story as I know it for now. Dad is going to contact our insurance company as soon as they open tomorrow and I'll have to met them somewhere to do something, not quite sure what but I think it is so they can asses the damage. I'll let you know more when I know more. It is now 11pm and the shaking in my hands is now barely noticeable.

~Nina

1 comment:

Zaolan said...

I'm just glad you're okay.